Our host Bob St. Pierre is joined by Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever Education & Outreach Program Manager Marissa Jensen for a conversation with Jorge Ramirez about quail hunting in California and Arizona. Jorge is a passionate quail hunter who operates the website www.UplandJitsu.com
which is focused on hunting Western quail on public land without a bird dog.
Episode Highlights Include:
SUBSCRIBE: APPLE PODCASTS / SOUNDCLOUD / STITCHER
- Jorge talks about becoming an upland bird hunter as an adult and his passion for California valley quail, Gambel’s quail, Mearns’ quail, and mountain quail.
- Part of Jorge’s story is that he’s never owned a bird dog. As a result, he uses some different strategies to set himself up for hunting success without a canine to find, flush, or retrieve birds. To that end, Jorge explains how he tracks quail, utilizes a quail call, and employs binoculars to hunt Western quail.
- A Quail Forever member since 2010, Jorge talks about why he got involved in conservation and later became a hunting mentor.
- The trio also talk about the organization’s efforts to be more inclusive to diverse ethnicities and Jorge offers his thoughts on how to recruit more people of Hispanic heritage to bird hunting.
- Marissa also previews the upcoming virtual Women, Wine, and Wild Game event featuring MeatEater’s Danielle Prewett that is coming up on August 20th.